Saturday, February 23, 2008

Carbon Footprints in an Urban Jungle

The need for energy has always been on the rise to power economies of many nations. Not only are the developed western countries producing more and more carbon emissions, but there is a growing problem as the population in Africa and Asia start living improved lifestyles which consume more energy. I, as a commoner living in an urban jungle, am guilty of my carbon footprint left around. In this era, carbon emission will always be left behind. It is said that electrical consumption is the biggest producer of carbon emission. Just by switching on the coffee machine or the fan will contribute to more carbon emission. Therefore, carbon footprint is inevitable. However, I do try to reduce them whenever I can. For example, I try to avoid driving to school and instead take the public transport, however the recent increase in ERP was the main factor for the change. Air-conditioning units are also one of the biggest culprits in carbon footprint. They are the main source of comfort for all students and workers. Just imagine the amount of electricity they demand which will lead to more carbon emission. In all, just by typing more will increase my carbon footprint.

1 comment:

Jason Lee Li Yang said...

Haha it is interesting that you mention that by typing more will cause more carbon emissions which kind of make me feel guilty while writing this comment. However, i am typing at my fastest rate so that i think that kind of makes me feel better? Yes, can we balance comfort and keep the Earth Green? i think most people prefer living comfortably .